Thursday, June 14, 2012

Help! My Salad Needs a Li'l Basil SOMETHING!






It's that time of year again friends. Fresh basil is popping up all over; in your garden plot or window box and in your grocery's produce section. Pesto may be one of my favorite foods, if you want to call it a food. I guess it's not really a stand-alone dish, despite how I CAN eat it by the spoonful. Shameful, I know ;)

Below is my Paleo take on a classic, turning standard pesto into a lovely springtime salad dressing. *Taste tested & approved by (my favorite)Paleo author, Adam Farrah.

Simple Pesto Dressing

1 bunch basil, roughly 2.5-4 oz (if purchased a lot of this weight will be stem)
1 medium ripe avocado
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 white onion
1 garlic clove
Sea Salt to taste
1/3 cup walnuts (optional)
Your favorite Olive oil
*you can substitute 3 garlic scapes for the onion & garlic.

Place washed/dried basil leaves in food processor along with all other ingredients except Olive Oil & Sea Salt. Blend until smooth-ish, scraping the sides down whenever necessary.
Taste, add small dashes of sea salt to taste. With blade running, drizzle in Olive oil until you have the correct consistency.
I like it somewhere between pesto & dressing (not completely runny) because it holds onto the salad leaves better.
To store: Place mixture in a glass container (plastic retains the garlic smell). Take a piece of plastic wrap & press down onto top of pesto to create an airtight seal. Then place the lid on container.

Hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment