Tuesday, December 6, 2011

But It's GOOD Kool-Aid!

The first stage of recovery, they say, is denial. Denial that CrossFit is better than doing 3 sets of 10 on the leg extension & 90 minutes on the elliptical. Denial that I'd been practically wasting my good hard earned money on a gym membership that didn't get me all that much fitter than I'd already been. But I could elliptical like the DICKENS!

Then, they say, there is anger. Anger that I'd never been told about this before! Anger that this information was so hard to find! Anger that my personal trainer had not ever made me do this!

After the anger passes though there is grief. Grief over all the time I had wasted in the gym, bopping pseudo-aimlessly from machine to machine. Grief that all the "Flat Abs Move" newsletters had brought me nowhere memorable.

Then there's bargaining. "Okay, okay! At least I'm fit enough to START CrossFit now," utilizing the "fit enough to begin" excuse that all those that HAVE started know to be a silly mythical creature.

Finally, thankfully, there is acceptance. Acceptance of the fact that my journey home, long around as it may have been, was necessary. Acceptance of the fact that I had not wasted any time in the gym no matter how ineffective it may now seem. That portion of my life was an education, a necessary experience (or evil, both of which apply quite well) that set me up to succeed when I finally found CrossFit.

I can say with certainty that I am proud to wear that ridiculous and delirious "I can't believe I volunteer for this $hit" CrossFit grin most days of the week.

Now, I know that you may not get it...yet. But hey, why don't you come over tonight. I've got this new flavor of Kool-Aid.

Want a taste?

No comments:

Post a Comment